Sunday, January 31, 2010

Thematic Inquiry Proposal

My project this semester centers around the Muslim community in Memphis. For a multitude of reasons, this community and the larger community it is a part of is close to my heart. Islam is as beautiful as it is misunderstood. My inquiry this semester will focus on: what it means to be a part of this community, how this community contributes to a greater Memphis, and some of the obstacles this community faces in achieving the voice they deserve. I also intend to offer solutions to some of these challenges that will be illustrated in the conclusion of the project's presentation. I will conduct ongoing interviews with citizens who contribute proactively to both the city of Memphis and their respective Muslim community, provide factual evidence by trusted scholars and research institutions to disseminate the most common myths surrounding Islam, and use parts of my own spiritual quest to shed light on an overlooked facet - what it means to be a Memphian working toward becoming a Memphis Muslim.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you find the answers you are seeking, you seem to be a very thourough person and while you flesh out doubts you may have which takes time. I'm sure once you find your answer you won't be someone who jumps away from it when you find something knew, you will stand strong behind your decision.

    ReplyDelete