Monday, March 29, 2010

Frost/Nixon

Saturday night we attended a great play at the NEW Playhouse on the Square. Frost/Nixon was a superb production that changed my view of Nixon. I am not saying that I like the guy now, but I see him as a man, weak and fallible, and not as the horrendous villain that many of my generation may believe him to be. My knowledge of Nixon has mostly come from personal accounts of my family members, and they did not like him much. So my opinion of him mirrored my families. After seeing Frost/Nixon, which was not especially sympathetic to Nixon, I came away with a little more understanding of who he was, what he did, and why he may have done it.
The acting in the play was great. The gentleman who played Nixon, Bill Andrews, was especially outstanding. The play is not a comedy but there were quite a few one liners interspersed throughout to loosen the suspense. The comedy was used in a way that someone in a tense situation would use a joke to put things at ease. We laughed but at the same time we knew that really there was nothing funny about what was going on.
Frost/Nixon runs through April 3rd, and if you are a fan of theatre I highly recommend it. If you are not a fan of theatre but you are a History person you will also thoroughly enjoy this play because of its unique view of one of the most traumatic times of U.S. history. I hope some of you see this play, and I would love to hear what you think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment