Friday, March 12, 2010

Memphis: Paradox of Place

Well to be perfectly honest, I wasn't too happy with the book myself. Although there were lots of wonderful facts and juicy details about Memphis that are worthy of contemplation and debate, I found it to be very difficult to follow even though I knew the meaning of most of the vocabulary before starting the book, and all of the vocabulary by the time I was finished reading. I almost feel like she built a wall between the information her book held and the general public with sentence structure and wordage. I don't feel like I retained nearly as much as I would have liked, however I did find what Wanda Rushing said about the yellow fever outbreak to be quite illuminating. I suppose that "Memphis: Paradox of Place" just wasn't my cup of tea. I don’t know if the book is above my average reading level, or if I just got stoned one too many times in high school. All I can say is that, while Wanda Rushing was clearly qualified to speak on the ins and outs of Memphis as a place, I found myself struggling to find her meaning through all the words. By the time I finished a sentence, I had already forgotten the beginning of it. I hope I’m not the only one who had difficulty with reading this, but I guess I’m probably the only person in this class that considered senior English nap time, so it would make sense. Maybe I need to brush up on my reading too.

No comments:

Post a Comment