Friday, March 12, 2010

Sun studio

I really enjoyed the Sun Studio tour we took last week. As a musician, I am very interested in the development of music through history, and the romanticism of cultural nostalgia that floods the mind where older music is concerned in Memphis. I never would have guessed that Ike Turner's Rocket 88 was the first rock'n'roll song recorded. The first thing I did when I got home was dust off my electric Santana SE and slip a dollar bill between it's neck and strings.

I also really liked our tour guide. He seemed to have a good sense of humor and those glasses were radical! I can't believe I've been in Memphis for the past decade and missed out on Sun Studio until then. The experience made me want to start playing my guitar and buy a pawn shop piano to replace my old one. I've been letting my hobbies stagnate and kind of got into a rut the past few weeks with work, school, trip planning, and volunteering. No more, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment