Thursday, April 15, 2010

misogynistic?

I'm not really sure. While certainly, many of the characters in Hustle and Flow were misogynistic, the movie itself was in some ways, and in others seemed to be quite the opposite. When I think of all the movies I've watched where prostitution played a part, only two cross my mind where a prostitute was both an important and positive character that managed to get out of the situation she was in on her own (the other being paprika). To me it seems that if the movie itself was misogynistic, the females would not play such a integral role in the success of the main character, or appeal to the audience as individuals deserving of reaching their potential and attaining a better sense of self worth. Even when they show a clip at the end of the prostitute that was kicked out, although she was clearly unhappy with the fact that she did not play a part in the music production, she was in a school which gave a sense of hope as to what her future would hold. There were only a few parts that gave me pause like where Yevette shows up with sandwiches after her husband publicly disrespects her as though she was the one who should make amends. It was also a pretty harsh spin to say that one of the girls left DJay when he clearly kicked her out. Some scenes, I'm not even sure what I really think of. When Nola and Shelby come to the consensus that refilling vending machines is worse than prostituting. I noticed that inflated egos were rampant among the male characters and while this may be a hint misogynistic, I think it could also simply be a mixture of Shelby's ego and Nola's diminished sense of self worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment