Sunday, April 25, 2010

Old Forest Hike

I love nature, all of it. From the beautiful trees to the grimy mud that feels great in between your toes when you run in the woods barefoot after a light rain. I have grown up in the woods and don't know much when it somes to the innerworkings of the woods. With this hike we learned about trees, animals, the history of the forest itself. We smelled interesting plants and listened to the heartbeat of a tree. The hike became repetitive after a time, which goes to show that the forest is small in size, which disheartens me. Industry is good for industries sake but you have to have a place to go hide from the world and if this is all the ctiy of memphis has to offer in this aspect then it's sad. I do want to go to live in a big city in the future but I still want to be able to go back to my country roots. Even as I live in my plush suburban neighborhood, the one thing that keeps me sane is that when I need my alone time to think and just do some hard labor I am just a short 45 minute drive from munford. In 45 minutes I can go work in a barn, just cleaning or I can go to some woods and cut down some firewood for the house and to sell. I seem to get alot of my thinking done when I am doing repetitive hard labor and can just be by myself and enjoy the solitude. A happy life for me is one where I can work hard physically but enjoy the fast paced life of the city is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment