Sunday, April 25, 2010

Beale street trek

We were asked in the very beginning when we met up at Local to decide if Memphis had become a tourist attraction and I have to reply with an emphatic yes but only in some degrees. Beale street to me was sad, I walked in disdain from shop to shop looking at crappy souvenairs at exubereant prices. I walked in bars and listened to some live music by famous people. Maybe I didn't find the right store or bar to listen to some good home written music but for me I felt like was just walking around somewhere that wasn't home. Beale street just felt like it was here it wasn't overly interesting or exciting. But riding the trolley, going to some of the art displays and looking at the lorraine motel was nice. I enjoyed the home grown art and the history that was here. I enjoyed getting into a discussion about the art and music that was played, the people we saw. Even though we could see the bright lights of Beale, it was more enjoyable for me to be in the streets outside of it, barely lit up by street lamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment