Saturday, February 6, 2010

Reaction of the Presentations

Regarding the presentation of "Reading Memphis" introductory essay, I thought that all of the fellow classmates have done a great job of sharing his or her new learning experience in Memphis. There were two out of four topics from the presentation that I considered the most attractive event to my interest. First of all, I would not imagine of how it looked like for a male customer to visit any particular nail shop to have their nail done, which was a experience event from Montrose. To me, I did not have the nerve to do the same thing like Montrose because I feel shy and a liitle odd to walk alone in a nail shop. I have the the odd feelings because I did not wanted the nail technicians or anyone around the place to think that I am a homosexual. Montrose described that he have a great time for spending his two hours at a nail shop because of a foreign looking shop. However, I did not felt the same way as Montrose. I wanted to mentioned this because most of the nail employees have high self-esteem and egoism , especially when they know my identity and that I am an educated Vietnamese customer. To be specific, nail technicians thought that their career was the most prestigious job than most educated Vietnamese since they made high wage and salary. In other words, They always thought that money was the most beneficiary rather than education. Because of the issue of egoism from the nail employees, I did not liked to interact with them, which also caused me from visiting a nail shop.

Furthermore, the event of the first visiting to the Bartlett Club, somehow, grab my attention and made me wanted to visit the place to learn more about the place and the way that each individual interacted with one another. Cathlynn have done a great exploration of desrcibing the environment of the place. I have not been to such a chaotic club like the Bartlett Club. Cathlynn was taken a risk chance to meet unfamiliar people at the club, especially where it used to be a strip club. In addition, because of this fact, I thought that most of the male members at this club wre not seem to be really nice, but I wanted to take a risk trip to the Bartlett Club as well to see if this was really the case of what Cathlynn has informed. In the past, I been to a club called "Senses," and it does not seemed to be a chaotic place for meeting new friends. Perhap, individual at this club semed to be nice and havetheir own world of socializing with their friends or couples. When the music was turned on, they just danced or drank without bothering anyone pieceful enjoyment. So, the club that I went to was nothing like the Bartlett Club. As a learning experience, I would want to try out to go to the Barlett Club for my own learning knowledge. As a matter of fact, Cathlynn was one brave lady, who took a dangerous visiting to the Barlett Club and willing to share her hardships at an unfamiliar place.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I can kind've see where your coming from about them thinking that they have a great job because of the money. There was one girl there named Kim, who was going to school for accounting and after she graduated she wanted to open her own nail shop. She seemed to think that this line of work is very lucrative. Is this really true?

    ReplyDelete